When rinsing and draining the canned kidney beans, a good trick is to pour them into a collander and rinse under the sink.
Nutritional Information (per serving - makes 4 servings)
279 calories - 6 g. fat - 25.7 g. protein - 8 g. fiber
- 2 c. prepared mashed potatoes (such as Country Crock)
- 3/4 lb. ground sirloin (I used 92% lean ground beef)
- 3/4 c. picante sauce or chunky salsa
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. preshredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Keep warm.
2. Cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
3. Add salsa, water, cumin, sugar, salt, and kidney beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and spoon mashed potatoes over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand 2 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.