My mom took an old Houston Junior League Cookbook recipe for this "Snappy Green Rice" and made it healthier. I took it and made it even a bit more healthier. We served this rice with a large salad, grilled chicken, and mango-avocado salsa. I little bit goes a long way. I did the WW points for this recipe, assuming 16 servings, and came up with a Points Plus value of just 3 points.
SNAPPY GREEN RICE
I used light sour cream and regular shredded cheddar (but reduced the portion by 3/4). I bet you could use fat free sour cream and low fat shredded cheddar to further "healthify" this recipe, but I am not sure how the low fat cheddar would melt. I used cheddar cheese, but I bet you could use monterey jack cheese successfully here too.
- 2 c. uncooked white rice, prepared according to package directions
- 1 c. parsley, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. diced canned green chiles
- 1 c. reduced fat sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir in rice when cooked through.
3. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
4. Add rice mixture to a 2 qt. casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Bake at 275 degrees for one hour.
5. Serve hot with chicken or steak.