This Cooking Light side was easy and delicious and really good for you. I had at least seconds and maybe thirds.
ZUCCHINI & ONION GRATIN
I really, really love tomato paste in recipes, so I doubled the tomato paste from the original recipe. I used a mandoline slicer to get my onions really thin.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 6)
92 calories - 6.3 g. fat - 4 g. protein - 7 g. carbohydrates - 2 g. fiber
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lb. zuccini, diagonally-sliced thin
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated (about 1/4 cup)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil to pan and swirl to coat.
2. Add onion and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon rind, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook two minutes more, stirring occasionally.
5. Preheat broiler to high.
6. Combine zucchini slices and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Toss gently to coat.
7. Arrange zucchini on a jelly roll pan lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with Pam.
8. Broil for 7 minutes or until lightly charred. Sprinkle with approx. 1/4 tsp. salt.
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
10. Spread onion mixture into the bottom of a 2 qt. oven-safe dish coated with cooking spray.
11. Arrange zucchini over onion mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
12. Cover and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
13. Remove from oven and preheat broiler to high once more.
14. Uncover zucchini mixture and broil approx. 1 minute more or until lightly browned.