This is a lovely, salty/sweet pasta dish that comes together quickly if you need a speedy weeknight meal.
RISOTTO-STYLE PASTA WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
This recipe calls for "unoaked white wine", but I think you can use just about any dry white wine you'd like. I sprinkled a little extra Parmesan over the top that is not included in the calorie count below.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
394 calories - 11.7 g. fat - 16 g. protein - 52 g. carbohydrates - 3 g. fiber
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 c. minced white onion
- 1-1/4 c. uncooked acini di pepe pasta (~8.5 oz or 1/2 box)
- 3 c. unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 oz. hard, salty blue cheese (such as Gorgonzola piccante), crumbled
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves for garnish, if desired
1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add onion and reduce heat to low.
2. Cook 20 minutes or until onion is light brown and creamy, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a large, heavy skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and swirl to coat.
4. Add dry pasta. Cook 5 minutes or until pasta is a toasty color, stirring constantly.
5. Add onion and 1 c. chicken stock, stirring frequently until stock is absorbed.
6. Add wine and additional stock, 1/2 c. at a time, stirring frequently until liquid is generally absorbed.
7. When the pasta is al dente (but not mushy), stir in salt and pepper.
8. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Allow cheese to generally melt, but serve while pasta still has some small chunks of cheese visible.
9. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with fresh thyme.
10. Serve immediately.