I adapted this recipe slightly from a 2014 Cooking Light recipe. I swapped crushed tomatoes for the diced tomatoes called for in the recipe. The nutritional information included below is based on the original Cooking Light recipe, but it should be really close. My husband REALLY liked this recipe and it came together really quickly.
CHEESY SKILLET GNOCCHI
I subbed a 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes for the 1-1/2 cups chopped tomato called for in the original recipe. The original recipe also calls for whole wheat gnocchi. I used regular white gnocchi.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
301 calories - 8.6 g. fat - 40 g. carbs - 14 g. protein - 8 g. fiber
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 16-oz. package prepared gnocchi
- 4 oz. (1 link) mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 c. chicken stock
- 2 oz. part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 c. chopped basil
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat.
4. Add gnocchi and cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove gnocchi to a large bowl.
6. Add sausage to pan and cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
7. Add tomato and garlic to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add gnocchi and stock to pan, combine with tomato and sausage mixture.
9. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
10. Place pan in oven and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned (2-4 minutes, depending on your oven).
11. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.