I found this recipe on Pinterest (original recipe credit to Ambitious Kitchen) and I modified it slightly. The original recipe may be found here. This was a great topping for grilled chicken and would likely work with several other meats as well. It is creamy and tastes like a pesto, but there is no oil, so the result is better for you!
CREAMY AVOCADO BASIL PESTO
The original recipe calls for pine nuts, but I used walnuts instead. I also used more avocado than the original recipe called for, which made it extra creamy. The original recipe also called for the cook to stir in the Parmesan at the end. I added it to the food processor instead.
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. walnuts
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 3 tbsp. water, plus more to thin if desired
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place first five ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chopped and roughly combined.
2. Add 3 tbsp. water and process until smooth. Add more water at this stage, if needed, to achieve desired consistency.
3. Add Parmesan cheese and pulse until combined.
4. Store in an airtight container (or sealed mason jar) and refrigerate. Pesto will keep for a few days in fridge if properly stored on the front end.