Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomato, and Cheese
I like to double the tomato paste to add a small boost of flavor....we like it very tomato-y in our house!
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 8)
413 calories - 11.8 g. fat - 24.1 g. protein - 53 g. carbohydrate - 4.5 g. fiber
- 16 oz. uncooked ziti
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage links
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Two, 14.5-oz. cans petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
- 1 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
3. Remove sausage casings and cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
4. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Combined cooked pasta, sausage and tomato mixture, and basil. Place 1/2 pasta mixture in a 4-qt casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until bubbly.