MRS. FORMAN'S LOW FAT CARAMEL BROWNIES
Caramels are frustrating....they only come in 14 oz. packages these days, and each of the caramels is individually wrapped. Arriving at 9 oz. of caramels is not an exact science....just guesstimate and do the best that you can!
- 9 oz. caramels, unwrapped
- 14 oz. can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 stick margarine, melted
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a 9x13 clear glass baking pan with Pam.
3. In the top of a double boiler, melt caramels with 1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk. Keep warm and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, melted margarine, and remaining sweetened condensed milk. Beat at a high speed until very well combined.
5. Spread 1/2 dough into the bottom of the baking pan. Bake 6 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over partially-baked dough. Spread caramel mixture over chocolate chips and crumble remaining dough evenly over the top.
7. Return to the oven and bake fpr 15 minutes, or until sides pull away from the pan. Do NOT overcook.
8. Cool in pan or on wire rack and cut into squares.