This recipe was relatively easy and fast. I served the meatballs over rice with a green salad.
JAPANESE CHICKEN MEATBALLS
Gwyneth's original recipe calls for making your own hoisin sauce (recipe here). I did make my own when I tried the recipe, but considering how expensive red miso paste is and considering that good-quality hoisin sauce is available without having to make it, I will likely just buy hoisin sauce next time.
- 1 lb. ground chicken (I used 99% lean ground turkey because I couldn't find chicken)
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp. freshly-grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. good-quality maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. neutral oil (canola or grapeseed)
- Hoisin sauce for serving
1. Mix chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and maple syrup.
2. Roll chicken mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs (20-24 total).
3. Heat oil in a large skillet and add meatballs. Pan-fry until cooked through.
4. Serve with hoisin sauce.