This is an easy salad adapted from a Cooking Light recipe. Instead of making your own dressing, use a pre-bottled balsamic vinaigrette. (My family likes Wishbone).
STRAWBERRY BASIL SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
Basil and strawberries might sound a little strange together, but this salad works well.
- 8 c. torn romaine lettuce
- 2 c. sliced strawberries
- 1/2 c. vertically-sliced Vidalia onion (or other sweet onion)
- 1/4 c. torn fresh basil
- Bottled balsamic vinaigrette to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine lettuce, sliced strawberries, onion, and basil in a large salad bowl.
2. Add a small amount of balsamic vinaigrette, along with salt and pepper, and toss gently to taste.
3. Be sure to assemble the salad right before your meal, because basil can start turning brown when brought in contact with liquids (particularly water).