I adapted this recipe from an old Cooking Light recipe. I like a mango relish without tomato, so I left that part out and it came out fantastically. The below recipe includes Cooking Light's nutritional information, but my recipe modifications. Because I only omitted vegetables, the information should generally be the same.
GRILLED SHRIMP WITH MANGO & RED ONION RELISH
If you would like to add tomatoes to the relish, the original recipe includes 2 c. of seeded, chopped tomatoes. It is very easy to halve or quarter this recipe for a smaller crowd.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 12)
210 calories - 2.8 g. fat - 31.5 g. protein - 13.7 g. carbohydrates - 1.6 g. fiber
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 c. diced, peeled mango
- 2-1/4 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. grated lime rind
- 2 minced serrano chiles (I used one jalapeno instead)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 lb. extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
1. Prepare grill.
2. Lightly coat onion slices with cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes on each side. Cool and chop.
3. Combine onion, mango, 1 tsp. salt, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, grated lime rind, and chiles in a large bowl.
4. Combine oregano, remaining salt, pepper, shrimp, and garlic in a large bowl. Toss well.
5. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
6. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray.
7. Grill 2 minutes on each side or until done.
8. Serve shrimp skewers with relish.