Monday, July 15, 2013

Snappy Green Rice

My mom took an old Houston Junior League Cookbook recipe for this "Snappy Green Rice" and made it healthier.  I took it and made it even a bit more healthier.  We served this rice with a large salad, grilled chicken, and mango-avocado salsa.  I little bit goes a long way.  I did the WW points for this recipe, assuming 16 servings, and came up with a Points Plus value of just 3 points.

SNAPPY GREEN RICE

Recipe Notes
I used light sour cream and regular shredded cheddar (but reduced the portion by 3/4).  I bet you could use fat free sour cream and low fat shredded cheddar to further "healthify" this recipe, but I am not sure how the low fat cheddar would melt.  I used cheddar cheese, but I bet you could use monterey jack cheese successfully here too.

Ingredients
  • 2 c. uncooked white rice, prepared according to package directions
  • 1 c. parsley, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, finely diced
  • 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 oz. diced canned green chiles
  • 1 c. reduced fat sour cream
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions
1.  Prepare rice according to package directions. 
2.  In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir in rice when cooked through.
3.  Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
4.  Add rice mixture to a 2 qt. casserole dish sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 275 degrees for one hour.
5.  Serve hot with chicken or steak.




No comments:

Post a Comment