The second recipe comes from my friend Sidney's kitchen. Sidney happens to be my friend Shelley's twin, so they are now both contributors to my blog! Sidney is a terrific cook and fabulous hostess who is often throwing parties and showers, so she has a recipe file full of wonderful appetizers. This recipe might sound like a strange combination, but the result is actually quite delicious. She made this recipe for Bacon-Wrapped Chorizo-Stuffed Dates back when she was testing recipes for a new Junior League Cookbook. I was skeptical myself, but I am so glad that a tried them because they are terrific and very different!
BACON-WRAPPED CHORIZO STUFFED DATES
Great party appetizer! In case you are not familiar with chorizo, it is a spicy Mexican sausage that works well with many breakfast dishes and Hispanic dishes. Chorizo can be found in your butcher's case very easily.
- 1 lb. chorizo sausage
- 20 pitted, dried dates
- 10 slices bacon (I recommend center cut)
- 5 oz. apricot jam
1. Remove casings from chorizo. Cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring until crumbly. Drain well.
2. Cut a slit in the side of each date. Stuff with the cooked chorizo.
3. Cut bacon slices in half and wrap around each stuffed date. Secure with a wooden toothpick.
4. Arrange stuffed dates on rack in a broiler pan and back for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
5. Melt apricot jam either over low heat on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Brush each date with jam and bake an additional 5 minutes.
6. Brush additional jam over the dates prior to serving.
Thank you, Sidney, for your contribution! And thank you, Ashlea, for so many great recipes!