Nutritional Information (Per serving - serves 4)
297 calories - 10.7 g. fat - 11.8 g. protein - 4.9 g. fiber
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3-1/2 c. cubed, peeled butternut squash
- 3/4 c. chopped carrot
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2-1/2 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 c. half-and-half
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Four, 1-oz. slices French bread
- 3 oz. thinly-sliced Swiss cheese (or any other mild white cheese - I used fontina)
1. To prepare soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion, and saute for 12 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, stir in half-and-half and salt.
5. Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of the blender lid to allow steam to escape. Cover opening loosely with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Blend until smooth and serve.
6. To prepare cheese toasts, preheat broiler.
7. Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Broil for one minute or until lightly toasted.
8. Turn bread over and top evenly with cheese. Broil one additional minute or until bubbly. Serve toasts with soup.