Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash

I love butternut squash in the fall, but I hardly ever make anything with butternut squash because it is such a darn PAIN to prepare. By the time that I buy the squash, slice it, scrape out all of the seeds, peel it, and cube it, I am rather bored with whatever dish I originally intended to make. As such, I was THRILLED to find this giant container of pre-peeled, pre-cubed butternut squash at Costco over the weekend!


Our neighbors were coming over for dinner, and one of them can't have anything bread-related or dairy-related right now, which made roasted butternut squash a great side dish for her! All this takes is a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and patience (time spent slow-roasting in the oven) and you've got a tasty fall side.

Recipe Notes
I slow-roasted this squash in my oven for one hour at 300 degrees. I am sure that you could probably reduce the cooking time by increasing the temperature, but I am not sure if the squash would turn out quite as sweet and nutty as it does under low heat for a long period of time.

Ingredients
  • Butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed
  • 1-2 tbsp. olive oil (depending on how much butternut squash you want to prepare)
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Turn out onto foil-lined jelly roll pan and bake at 300 degrees for one hour, or until desired degree of doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment