Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Binder



My friend Chelsea told me that I needed to post the idea of my recipe binder. I have been keeping a binder of recipes I would like to try for more than five years now. Corey and I have a thumbs-up, thumbs-down, and neutral ratings system in our house for when we try a new dinner. If it gets a thumbs-up, it gets to stay in the binder for future dinners. If it gets a thumbs-down or neutral rating, it gets tossed. (Considering that I have filled a three-inch binder with recipes, there is no room for mediocre meals!)

What is handy about having a binder, which is organized by type of food, is that my recipes are easy to find. Also, I don't have to keep stacks and stacks of magazines around - instead I just keep the 2-3 pages that are relevant from each issue and file them away accordingly. It saves a good deal of space and also a good deal of time that I would otherwise spend digging for recipes.

I must credit my friend Rebecca in Birmingham for the idea. She started her "magazine binder" whenwe were living together in Washington, DC. I followed her lead and haven't looked back since! Thanks Rebecca!

A few of the categories in my recipe binder include the following:
  • Breakfast
  • Egg Dishes
  • Appetizers
  • Drinks
  • Fruits & Vegetables
  • Salads & Side Dishes
  • Dinners - Beef
  • Dinners - Pork
  • Dinners - Chicken
  • Dinners - Turkey
  • Dinners - Fish & Seafood
  • Dinners - Vegetarian
  • Pasta & Pizza
  • Lunches & Sandwiches
  • Sauces & Marinades
  • Cakes
  • Pies
  • Cookies, Brownies, & Bars
  • Other Desserts

My friend Chelsea has started a recipe binder and so has my mom, and they both like them very much. I highly recommend starting one!

3 comments:

  1. I have a binder! I got the idea from Kristi as well. Mine is the "cooking light" binder. I had cooking light magazines dating back to 2003 in my house in a cabinet and decided I had to do something better. So - hence the binder. We put them in plastic sleeves you can buy at Office depot so they can't get dirty or rip. I love looking through it and addding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelley! Those are great ideas. You are more organized than I. :) Corey can't wait to try your meatloaf again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're wise to have high standards for what makes it into the binder. I've been less discriminating and now have seven two-inch binders!

    ReplyDelete