We had these grits last night with a pork dish (recipe here), and they were great! Corey doesn't even like grits that much, and he went back for seconds. The inclusion of a small amount of goat cheese, a pungent cheese that has lots of bang for your calorie buck, makes this feel like an indulgent treat, even though they have less than 100 calories per serving!
This is a Cooking Light recipe that I have adapted slightly, swapping out 1/2 of the water required with fat free chicken broth to add flavor. I also halved the recipe, as the original recipe serves 10 people.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 5)
99 calories - 3.6 g. fat - 3.8 g. protein - 0.3 g. fiber
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 c. quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. (2 oz.) goat cheese
- 1 tsp. finely-chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. finely-chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
1. Bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Gradually add grits and salt to the pan, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
3. Reduce heat and simmer five minutes or until thickened. (Stir occasionally).
4. Remove from heat, stir in goat cheese, parsley, basil, and pepper.