For a dinner party, this is best served with ice cream and the leftover chocolate glaze as an ice cream topping. If you use all of the glaze on the cake, add some of the Hot Fudge Sauce over the top that I just taught you how to make! This is a VERY old Southern Living recipe....so old I can't even find it in the Southern Living online archives!
WARNING: This is NOT a healthy dessert (but it tastes so good!).
Any leftover chocolate glaze can be used as an ice cream topping. Serve with ice cream and possibly the leftover glaze or hot fudge sauce.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 1-6 oz. package instant chocolate pudding
- 1-1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 18 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (one 12-oz. bag and one 6-oz. bag)
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend cake mix, pudding, water, oil, and eggs in an electric mixer over medium speed for two minutes.
3. Fold in two cups of chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
4. Turn batter into a Bundt pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then invert and cool on a wire cooling rack until cooled completely.
6. While the cake is cooling, combine remaining chocolate chips and whipping cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring until chocolate is melted completely. (Keep heat setting low so that cream does not scald.) Let cool 5 minutes.
7. Drizzle chocolate glaze over cake and serve after glaze reaches room temperature and hardens slightly.