Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy Corn Casserole

I cannot tell you how many friends have asked for this recipe after having it at our house. My mom has even given a little "corn casserole kit" as a party favor at a luncheon after trying out my adaptation of this great Cooking Light recipe. This recipe is so versatile and pairs well with chicken, pork, steak, even burgers! And because it has just six ingredients (mostly dry or canned), it is really inexpensive to make, too.

Recipe Notes

I use one real egg in this recipe instead of 1/4 c. egg substitute. I also use a 6 oz. container of fat-free plain yogurt, because none of the grocery stores that I frequent carry plain yogurt in an 8 oz. size. I haven't noticed a difference in consistency - it still comes out moist every time. You will probably want to watch the dish during its last 10 minutes in the oven. I typically need to take mine out between 5-10 minutes before the designated cooking time has elapsed.

Nutritional Information (Per serving - serves 8)

238 calories - 9.2 g. fat - 4.9 g. protein - 1.5 g. fiber

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. egg substitute (I use 1 real egg)
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted (1/2 stick)
  • 8-3/4 oz. can whole-kernel corn
  • 8-3/4 oz. can cream-style corn
  • 8-1/2 oz. package corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
  • 8 oz. carton plain, fat-free yogurt (I use one 6-oz. container)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.

3. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment