Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Meatloaf


Meatloaf was my dad's favorite meal when I was growing up, so we ate a LOT of meatloaf. Maybe that is why I grew to dislike it so much? However, once Corey and I got married, I found myself making meatloaf...who knew?! Cooking Light has several tasty varieties, and this recipe is a friend's adaptation of a Cooking Light meatloaf incarnation.

This recipe comes from my friend Shelley, who always has lots of tasty, healthy recipes. She sent me her adaptation of a Cooking Light meatloaf that she and her husband Colin have really enjoyed. Corey and I tried it out last night and it was great! Definitely worth sharing. Not only does it have only 250 calories per serving, it is also a simple recipe with a minimal number of ingredients, and it only requires about 30 minutes in the oven, so your dinner is ready fast! Thanks Shelley!

MEATLOAF

Recipe Notes
I used 93% lean ground beef instead of sirloin because it was on sale that day. Shelley says that she uses grass-fed sirloin from Whole Foods (Colin is much luckier than Corey!) Both turn out delicious. I had to reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes in my (apparently) very hot oven, so watch your meatloaf in the last 10 minutes or so!

Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
250 calories - 7 g. fat - 27 g. protein

Ingredients
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 1-1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 lb. ground sirloin
  • 3/4 c. finely-chopped onion
  • 1/4 to 1/2 c. breadcrumbs (Shelley uses Vigo with Romano cheese)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten

Instructions


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine ketchup and mustard in small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 3 tbsp. of the ketchup mixture.

3. Combine remaining ketchup mixture and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to combine (I use my hands).

4. Line pan with foil and coat foil with cooking spray.

5. Place meatloaf mixture on pan and form into an egg shape.

6. Spread remaining 3 tbsp. ketchup onto the meatloaf. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes or until meatloaf is cooked through. (My oven only took 25 minutes.)

Shelley suggests serving the meatloaf with a steakhouse wedge and mashed potatoes. Shelley also has a great homemade low-fat dressing for her wedge. All you have to do is whisk the below ingredients together and you've got dressing!

  • 2 tbsp. blue cheese dressing
  • 1 tbsp. fat free buttermilk
  • 2 tbsp. fat free sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 3/4 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt





No comments:

Post a Comment