Nutritional Information (per manicotti)
291 calories - 11.5 g. fat - 19.6 g. protein - 1.4 g. fiber
- 10 uncooked manicotti
- 1 lb. sweet Italian turkey sausage (such as Jennie-O)
- 1-1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. fat-free milk
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1-1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 c. tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook manicotti according to package directions. Drain and set aside. (You may want to boil an extra 1-2 manicotti in case any of them split during cooking and cooling.)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat. Remove casings from sausage and add to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain sausage and return to pan.
4. Add onion and bell pepper to pan, saute 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 c. milk and whisk in flour. Bring pot to a boil when well-combined. Cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk.
6. Remove from heat and stir in pepper. Add to sausage mixture.
7. Spoon about 1/3 c. sausage mixture into each manicotti and arrange manicotti in a single layer in a 9x13 glass casserole dish coated with cooking spray.