BAKED PASTA WITH SAUSAGE, TOMATOES, AND CHEESE
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 8)
413 calories - 11.8 g. fat - 24.1 g. protein - 4.5 g. fiber
- 1 lb. package uncooked ziti or other tube-shaped pasta
- 1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Two 14.5-oz. cans petite diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- 1/4 c. fresh chopped basil
- 1 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 c. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
2. Remove sausage from casings. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble sausage.
3. If desired, drain and return to skillet. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes.
4. Combine cooked pasta, sausage and tomato mixture, and basil.
5. Layer half of the pasta mixture into a four-quart glass casserole dish (coated with cooking spray).
6. Sprinkle 1/2 c. mozzarella and 1/2 c. Parmesan over pasta.
7. Layer with remaining pasta mixture and top with remaining cheeses.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until bubbly.