ORECCHIETTE WITH SAUSAGE & PEPPERS
- 2 medium red bell peppers, four flat sides sliced off the core, ribs and seeds discarded
- 2 medium yellow peppers, same preparation as red peppers
- Coarse salt & ground pepper
- 1 lb. orecchiette or other short pasta
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place peppers, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until charred, approximately 4 inches from heat source (18-20 minutes).
2. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and steam 2-3 minutes.
3. Using a paper towel, rub off pepper skins, reserving juices in bowl. (Somehow, I never have any "juices" that appear, so don't be alarmed if you don't have much liquid in the bowl).
4. Thinly slice peppers crosswise and return to bowl. Set aside.
5. Cook pasta until al dente in a pot of salted water. Drain and reserve 1/2 c. pasta water.
6. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat (or, if you are like me, skip this step).
7. Cook sausage until browned, 7-10 minutes. Add roasted peppers and cook until heated through.
8. Toss pasta, pasta water, sausage, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Makes six BIG servings!