BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Nutritional Information (per 1 shank and 3/4 c. sauce)
254 calories - 11.4 g. fat - 25.9 g. protein - 3.5 g. fiber
- Four, 12-oz. lamb shanks, trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 c. dry red wine
- Two, 14.5-oz. cans petite diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle lamb with salt & pepper and add to pan. Cook 4 minutes on each side until browned.
3. Remove lamb from pan to a plate. Add minced garlic and saute 15 seconds. Add red wine and cook for 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
4. Return lamb to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour on medium-low. Turn lamb over and cook for one additional hour until meat is done and very tender.
5. Place lamb on a plate and cover loosely with foil.
6. Skim fat from surface of sauce (there likely won't be much). Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until thickened.
7. Return lamb to pan and cook 4 minutes or until lamb is thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley and serve.