Risotto seems scary to prepare, but it shouldn't. This adaptation from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food is on the table in less than one hour. To add some protein, you can add broiled shrimp (as I did above) or sauteed scallops over your risotto. Otherwise, this is a nice vegetarian dinner that has less than 300 calories per serving and is very filling.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
286 calories - 14.7 g. fat - 0.7 g. fiber
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter (I used light butter)
- 1 c. arborio rice or risotto rice
- Chicken broth - one box
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook until soft.
2. Add rice and cook 2-4 minutes, or until the rice begins to brown slightly.
3. Stir in white wine and allow to be completely absorbed.
4. Add 1 c. water and bring to a slight boil. Stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed.
5. Begin adding chicken broth, 1/2 c. at a time, until risotto is tender and creamy. For me, this takes about 20-25 minutes and about 3 c. chicken broth.
6. Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.