"ALMOST" LUBY'S MAC & CHEESE
- 2 c. dry elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1-1/2 c. milk (I used skim, 2% probably works the very best)
- 3 c. grated American cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. As the butter is melting, I like to add a couple of tbsp. of milk so that the butter and flour don't scorch.
3. Gradually add milk, whisking well to combine.
4. Add 1-1/2 c. shredded cheese and mix until melted and creamy.
5. Stir in macaroni, salt, and 1 c. cheese (only 1/2 c. shredded cheese will be left to use).
6. Turn into a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish (8x8 or 9x9). Cover with foil.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Continue baking for one minute or until remaining cheese melts.