Be sure to watch these in the oven to make sure that they don't overbake.
- 1 lb. tube pizza dough
- 1/2 lb. reduced-fat pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 c. fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
1. Brown pork sausage with red bell pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside.
2. Combine cheeses (ricotta, mozarella, and Parmesan) in a medium bowl. Add baby spinach and stir well to combine.
3. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. On a cutting board lightly coated in flour, separate pizza dough and roll it out into four equal circles, approximately 8 in. in diameter.
5. Place cheese and spinach mixture on 1/2 of the pizza dough circles, leaving a 1/2 inch border for sealing the calzone. Top with sausage and red bell pepper mixture.
6. Fold over calzones and seal, pressing both edges together to form a half-moon shape. Brush with olive oil.
7. Arrange calzones on cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until calzones are golden brown.8. Serve with marinara sauce.