CROCK POT "REFRIED" BEANS
I found this recipe on Pinterest through Six Sisters' Stuff. There is also a recipe to turn these completed beans into bean dip on their website. See the original recipe (here). These beans definitely need additional seasoning (salt/pepper), hot sauce (such as Cholula), and cheese!
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 c. dry pinto beans (approx. 1 bag), rinsed and drained
- 1/4-1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1-3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cumin (optional)
- 5 c. water
- 4 c. chicken broth
1. Place onion, beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin in a Crock Pot or other slow cooker.
2. Add water and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
3. Cook on high for 8 hours, adding additional water if needed. Do not allow beans to cook dry.
4. Strain beans and return to a bowl, reserving cooking liquid. Mash with a potato masher and add cooking liquid until desired consistency is achieved.