OVEN-ROASTING METHOD FOR BEEF
I highly recommend using a trimmed and tied beef tenderloin from Rice Epicurean if you live in Houston. Pick one up at the Saturday meat sale - great pricing!
- Beef tenderloin roast (trimmed & tied)
- Good-quality salt and pepper
- Good-quality olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. (Yes, 500 degrees. It will be very hot!)
2. Set roast out for three hours or more to reach room temperature. Rub roast with salt, pepper, and oil.
3. Place roast on a rack in an open pan or Dutch oven. Place pan in the center of the oven at least 8 inches from the oven's heating element.
4. Cook roast for 3 minutes per pound. Turn the oven off and let stand in the oven for one hour and 45 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DURING THIS TIME.
5. Pull the roast out of the oven, slice, and enjoy! Great by itself or for sandwiches.