SESAME SHRIMP SALAD
You will notice in the recipe that the shrimp are supposed to be on skewers. Mine were not, as I was out of bamboo skewers. It tastes the same either way. Make sure that you cook the shrimp long enough in a hot enough skillet to get a good glaze and a bit of char on the shrimp.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
239 calories - 7.3 g. fat - 26.3 g. protein - 17.9 g. carbohydrates - 3.4 g. fiber
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tbsp. orange marmalade
- 2 tsp. dark sesame oil, divided
- 24 large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 5 c. shredded Napa cabbage
- 1-1/2 c. trimmed watercress leaves
- 1-1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
1. Mix sugar, water, garlic, and 2 tbsp. lime juice in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 40 seconds or until sugar has dissolved. Stir in 1 tsp. chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
2. Combine 1 tbsp. lime juice, 1 tsp. chili garlic sauce, remaining salt, orange marmalade, and 1 tsp. dark sesame oil in a separate large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Remove shrimp from bowl, reserving marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers (3 shrimp per skewer).
5. Heat 1 tsp. dark sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and reserved marinade to pan. Cook at least 3-4 minutes or until shrimp is done.
6. Combine cabbage, watercress, carrots, cilantro, mint, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Dress with reserved dressing set aside from step 1. Top with 2 shrimp skewers and serve.