TOASTED QUINOA PILAF
You can also substitute barley for quinoa if you would like.
125 calories - 3 g. fat - 4 g. protein - 2 g. fiber
- 2 tbsp. finely-chopped shallots or onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 c. quinoa (or substitute barley) rinsed and drained
- 3 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c. bottled roasted red bell peppers, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. In large saucepan, cook shallots and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender.
2. Carefully stir in quinoa. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until quinoa or barley is golden brown.
3. Carefully stir in broth, thyme, and bay leaf.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy. (If substituting barley, cook time will be between 10-20 minutes.)
5. Discard bay leaf. Stir in roasted peppers. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper and serve.