BEEF & BARLEY SOUP
Nutritional Information (per serving - makes 4 two-cup servings)
341 calories - 11.4 g. fat - 24.1 g. protein - 8.2 g. fiber
- 3/4 lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1-1/2 c. thinly-sliced carrot
- 1-1/2 c. thinly-sliced celery
- 2/3 c. chopped onion
- 8 oz. package presliced mushrooms
- 4 c. beef broth (one box)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 c. uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add beef and cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
2. Add carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms to pan. Cook 6 minutes or until liquids have essentially evaporated.
3. Add beef broth and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
4. Add pearl barley. Cover and simmer 30 minutes more.
5. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
Sadie was worn out last night from all of the Halloween weekend festivities. Hope that everyone had a nice Halloween!