LIGHTENED FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
I use skim milk instead of 1% because that is what I keep on hand. Four cups of cooked fettuccine equals one-half of a one lb. box (the unit of measure typically sold in grocery stores).
399 calories - 13.5 g. fat - 21.3 g. protein - 2 g. fiber
- 1 tbsp. butter (I used light butter)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 c. 1% low-fat milk (I used skim)
- 1-1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 4 cups hot, cooked fettuccine
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
2. While fettuccine cooks, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and cook one minute, stirring frequently. Add flour.4. Increase heat. Add milk slowly, 1/4 c. at a time, stirring vigorously with a whisk to break up any lumps.
5. Cook until mixture thickens, about 6 minutes.
6. Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir with a whisk until cheeses melt.
7. Toss sauce with hot, cooked pasta.
8. For plating: serve on four plates and top with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley, and freshly-cracked pepper.