This chicken dish is good with a simple salad and mashed potatoes.
HONEY MUSTARD PRETZEL-CRUSTED CHICKEN
The original recipe calls for bottled water and clover or orange blossom honey to make the homemade honey mustard. I don't know what planet the author lives on, but on my planet, we're on a budget, so I used tap water and plain old Burleson's honey. This recipe makes lots more pretzel/panko crumbs than you will need, but it is nice to have the extra to make sure that your chicken breasts get coated properly.
- 2 c. panko crumbs
- 2 c. pretzel crumbs (pretzels pulsed in a Cuisinart until coarsely ground)
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. Dijon mustard
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (4 oz. each)
- 1/2 c. flour
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil with cooking spray.
2. Combine panko crumbs and pretzel crumbs in a medium bowl.
3. Combine oil, mustard, honey, water, and vinegar in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
4. Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
5. Prepare three dredging stations: one with flour, one with 1/2 of the honey mustard dressing, and one with the pretzel crumb mixture.
6. Dredge chicken breasts one at a time in flour, then in honey mustard (allowing for excess to drip off), and finally in pretzel crumbs. Place on the greased baking sheet.
7. Bake for 16-25 minutes (mine took approx. 20 minutes) until cooked through. Let chicken sit for five minutes before serving.
8. Serve with additional honey mustard dressing.