Friday, December 6, 2013

Green Beans with Citrus & Pecans


This festive holiday side was recently featured in Southern Living.  I have two problems with the original recipe: 1) there is waaaaay too much vinaigrette called for in the original recipe (I ultimately used about 1/3 of the recipe) and 2) the original recipe says to chill and serve cold.  I like room temp or hot green beans, so I made mine accordingly.

GREEN BEANS WITH CITRUS & PECANS

Recipe Notes
Walnuts may also be substituted for the pecans.  I had never used cane syrup before.  I think that molasses can generally be substituted for the cane syrup here.

Ingredients
  • 1 shallot, diced small
  • 3/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. orange zest
  • 1/3 c. fresh orange juice
  • 1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. cane syrup
  • 2 lb. green beans or haricot verts (very thin green beans)
  • 2 oranges, sectioned
  • 1/2 c. chopped, toasted pecans
Instructions
1.  Whisk together first six ingredients (through cane syrup) and add salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.
2.  Cook green beans until crisp-tender and drain.
3.  Pat beans dry with paper towels.  Place beans and orange sections in a zip-top plastic bag.  Add vinaigrette (I would only recommend adding a few tbsp.) and seal bag.
4.  Turn bag several times to coat beans and oranges.
5.  Serve topped with pecans.



No comments:

Post a Comment