Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sadie's Corner: Rosemary Chicken and Corn Quinoa


This Southern Living meal (recipe here) looked really great.  It has a great flavor combination (corn and kale) and good, complimentary herbs (rosemary) for the chicken breast.  However, there are two lessons here that I considered before I tried the recipe, and I wish that I'd listened more closely:

1.  This recipe needs a sauce.  When I was reading the ingredient list, it was clear that there was no sauce component to the dish, just a small amount of lemon juice squeezed over it at the end to boost flavor.  My fears were confirmed when we tried the dish: it really needed a sauce.
2.  Never, ever believe the recipe for the amount of time it will take to cook chicken in a pan.  This particular recipe suggested 6 minutes per side.  I left the chicken in the pan for a total of 18+ minutes and Corey's (which was a thicker chicken breast than mine) was unsafely pink when he cut into it.  There is a very fine line between cooking chicken in a pan thoroughly and either burning it or drying it out.  My advice?  Bake chicken (or pan sear it and then finish it in the oven) when possible.  It will maintain more moisture and stand a better chance of cooking through.

Sadie was very excited that she got to try my chicken.  Doesn't she look deserving of some leftovers?




No comments:

Post a Comment