As mentioned above, this recipe originally called for eight slider buns instead of four regular sized buns. I added twice the meat to one regular sized bun for each place setting. I also bought prechopped carrots from the bulk bins at Central Market to cut down on prep time.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
373 calories - 10 g. fat - 52.2 g. carbs - 4.2 g. fiber
- 1 large carrot (grated or finely chopped)
- 10 oz. lean ground beef
- 3/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 8 slider hamburger buns or 4 regular-sized hamburger buns.
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, beef, and onion to pan. Cook six minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender.
3. Add garlic powder, chili powder, and pepper. Cook one additional minute.
4. Combine ketchup, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, and tomato sauce in a small bowl. Add ketchup mixture to pan and stir evenly to coat.
5. Simmer five minutes or until thickened.
6. Arrange buns, cut side up, in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Distribute beef mixture among buns and serve hot.