Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Carrots with Mustard Seeds & Dill


This tasty side appeared in a recent issue of Real Simple.  I served it with grilled chicken and a salad and both my husband and I liked it very much.

CARROTS WITH MUSTARD SEEDS & DILL

Recipe Notes
I could not find "young or small carrots", so I got a bunch of regular sized carrots and cut each one into at least quarters, which ended up being a good size.

Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
73 calories - 3 g. fat - 1 g. protein - 10 g. carbs - 4 g. fiber

Ingredients
  • 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter (the recipe calls for 1 tbsp, but I used half that)
  • 1 lb. young or small carrots, halved lengthwise
  • 2 tsp. mustard seeds (I used ground mustard seeds so that the carrots almost had a type of mustard glaze on them after cooking)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped

Instructions
1.  Melt butter in a large skillet.  Add carrots, mustard seeds, salt, and 3/4 c. water.
2.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender and water has cooked off (15-17 minutes).
3.  Add vinegar and dill.  Toss to combine and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment