This recent Southern Living recipe is a different spin on a traditional spinach dip. The caramelized onions make it sweeter. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips or other chips and vegetables of choice.
SPINACH & VIDALIA ONION DIP
I decreased the butter from the original recipe. You can also use any sweet onion (such as 1015's) if Vidalias are not available.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 c. chopped Vidalia onions (about 2 large)
- 5 oz. package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 16 oz. container sour cream
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender (20-30 minutes).
3. Add chopped spinach, stirring until wilted.
4. Sprinkle with half of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
5. Stir together onion/spinach mixture, sour cream, and chives. Add remaining salt and pepper.
6. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
7. Serve with chips and vegetables.