Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cheesy Meatloaf Minis


Somehow, I hated meatloaf as a kid but have grown to like it more as an adult.  This little Cooking Light recipe appeared in a recent "Best Of" edition of the magazine, and I decided to give it a try.  The little bits of white cheddar added to the mixture are just yummy.  Please note that I actually made mine a bit smaller than the recipe calls for - I used 1 lb. of sirloin for six meatloafs instead of 1.5 lbs. as called for in the recipe.  I thought it was just great.  The nutritional stats below are based on using the full 1.5 lbs. of meat.

CHEESY MEATLOAF MINIS

Recipe Notes
Serve this meal with mashed potatoes and a simple salad.  A good simple salad to serve with this meal is just an herb salad mix with carrot ribbons, sliced red onion, and your favorite vinaigrette.

Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 6)
254 calories - 11.4 g. fat - 28.3 g. protein - 11.1 g. carbs - 0.9 g. fiber

Ingredients
  • 1 oz. fresh breadcrumbs (I used 2 slices of white bread and my Cuisinart)
  • 1 c. finely chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 ketchup, divided
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
  • 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3 oz. white cheddar cheese, diced
  • 1-1/2 lbs. ground sirloin (90% lean)
  • 1 large egg
Instructions
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  My oven is a bit hot, so I cooked these at 400 degrees.
2.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray and saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
3.  Combine onion, garlic, 1/4 ketchup, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix thoroughly (I use my hands to make sure it is well-combined).
4.  Shape into 6 individual loaves on a broiler pan lined with aluminum foil and coated with cooking spray.
5.  Spread 2 tsp. ketchup over each loaf. 
6.  Bake for 25-28 minutes or until done.


No comments:

Post a Comment