Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Arugula, Pear, and Blue Cheese Salad


Corey LOVED this recent Southern Living featured salad.  I really enjoyed it too.  There is something fun about homemade dressing from the Cuisinart, and it had great flavor.  I served this with Lipton Onion Roasted Potatoes and grilled chicken.  Everyone was happy.

ARUGULA, PEAR, & BLUE CHEESE SALAD

Recipe Notes
I cannot tell you how difficult it was to find pear preserves.  I had to go to THREE different grocery stores, but I eventually found them at Central Market.  The recipe calls for walnuts, but I used toasted pecans because that is what I had available.  You should have dressing left over after your meal for another night's salad.  Save it - this makes a tasty vinaigrette.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. pear preserves
  • 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
  • 1 shallot, sliced
  • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 8 cups loosely packed arugula
  • 2 Bartlett pears, cut into wedges (I diced mine instead of making wedges)
  • 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (I used chopped toasted pecans)
Instructions
1.  In a Cuisinart or blender, process 1/4 c. of the pear preserves, the champagne vinegar, the shallot, the Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
2.  With the processor running, pour oil through the food chute in a slow and steady stream, processing until smooth. 
3.  Transfer to a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. pear preserves.
4.  Place arugula on plates or a large serving platter.  Top with pears, blue cheese, and nuts.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment