Corey LOVED this recent Southern Living featured salad. I really enjoyed it too. There is something fun about homemade dressing from the Cuisinart, and it had great flavor. I served this with Lipton Onion Roasted Potatoes and grilled chicken. Everyone was happy.
ARUGULA, PEAR, & BLUE CHEESE SALAD
I cannot tell you how difficult it was to find pear preserves. I had to go to THREE different grocery stores, but I eventually found them at Central Market. The recipe calls for walnuts, but I used toasted pecans because that is what I had available. You should have dressing left over after your meal for another night's salad. Save it - this makes a tasty vinaigrette.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. pear preserves
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cups loosely packed arugula
- 2 Bartlett pears, cut into wedges (I diced mine instead of making wedges)
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (I used chopped toasted pecans)
1. In a Cuisinart or blender, process 1/4 c. of the pear preserves, the champagne vinegar, the shallot, the Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
2. With the processor running, pour oil through the food chute in a slow and steady stream, processing until smooth.
3. Transfer to a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. pear preserves.
4. Place arugula on plates or a large serving platter. Top with pears, blue cheese, and nuts. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.