This is a very simple, "old-fashioned", icebox-type dessert. It also can serve a crowd. Allow yourself time for it to chill. This is not a dessert that can be whipped up right before dinner.
CANDY BAR DESSERT
You can do many things to make this dessert either more fattening or less fattening. I have made this as "skinny" as possible without sacrificing too much taste. The one note that my mom made was to not substitute skim milk in the pudding layer - 2% is as low-fat as she suggested you go. Therefore, I incorporated 2% milk into the dessert I made last weekend.
- 2 c. Oreo cookie crumbs (either store bought or made from Oreo cookies)
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. sugar, divided
- 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tub Cool Whip Light or Cool Whip Free (I used Cool Whip Free)
- 2 packages Jell-O instant chocolate pudding
- 3 c. milk (may be 2% but not skim)
- 1 c. Heath bits
1. Spray 9x13 glass dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine Oreo crumbs, 1/4 c. sugar, and melted butter in a bowl.
3. Press Oreo crumb mixture into the bottom of the casserole dish and chill 10 minutes/
4. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/4 c. sugar. Fold in 1/2 tub Cool Whip.
5. Spread sweetened cream cheese layer over Oreo crust.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 c. Heath bits over cream cheese layer.
7. Beat pudding and 3 c. milk until pudding has thickened and is soft-set. Spread over cream cheese layer.
8. Spread remaining Cool Whip over pudding layer. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 c. Heath bits.
9. Chill at least two hours before serving.