SHRIMP & GRITS CASSEROLE
I used about 3/4 lb. shrimp (instead of a full pound) and fat free milk (instead of 2%) and this turned out great. Calorie count for my version is probably slightly less than noted below for this reason.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 6)
341 calories - 13 g. fat - 27 g. carbs - 1 g. fiber - 28 g. protein
- 2 c. 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 c. fat free chicken broth
- 1 c. uncooked quick-cooking grits (such as Quaker)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
- Hot pepper sauce for serving (such as Cholula) if desired
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine milk and broth in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
3. Gradually add grits and salt to the pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in parmesan, butter, and cream cheese until well-combined, followed by parsley, chives, lemon juice, egg whites, and shrimp.
5. Turn grits mixture into an 11x7 glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook for 25 minutes or until set.
6. Serve hot with hot pepper sauce.