This recipe ran in the Houston Chronicle once upon a time. It is very much like the famous spinach dip that was served at Houston's (part of the Hillstone family of restaurants) back in the day when they still put artichokes in the dip. This is a great (and easy) party dip.
(ALMOST) HOUSTON'S SPINACH & ARTICHOKE DIP
Shredded Parmesan is an easy substitution for grated Romano if it is hard to find, and regular (or low fat) cream cheese is fine if garlic-chive cream cheese is not available. I was not able to find garlic-chive cream cheese at my local Kroger.
- 1/2 c. grated Romano cheese
- 1 large garlic clove
- 10 oz. package chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 6 oz. jar of artichoke hearts, drained
- 8 oz. container garlic-chive cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a food processor, pulse Romano cheese, artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, cream cheese, and eggs until well-combined.
2. Transfer to an oven-safe bowl and fold in mozzarella.
3. Bake at 375 degrees until heated through (20 or 25 minutes).
4. Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream, if desired. You can also serve this with crackers such as wheat thins.