MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE
I cooked and shredded the chicken for this Cooking Light recipe in advance. Also, I didn't have the time to make the charred tomato salsa suggested by the recipe, so I used Pace Chunky Salsa instead (and it tasted great). The recipe modification below uses Pace. If you'd like to make your own, the original recipe can be found (here).
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 8)
331 calories - 12.3 g. fat - 26.1 g. protein - 30.8 g. carbs - 4.2 g. fiber
- Pace chunky salsa (I used mild) - 2 jars
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels (I used frozen)
- 1 c. zucchini, diced finely
- 1 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 3 c. shredded, cooked chicken breasts (2-3 chicken breasts)
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 10 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
- 1, 4-oz. can chopped green chiles (I skipped this because I don't like green chiles)
- Twelve 6-in. corn tortillas
- 1 c. shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 1 c. crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray and add onion, corn, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Saute 6 minutes or until tender.
3. Add chicken and next five ingredients (through green chiles, if you are adding them). Saute 2 minutes or until heated through, remove from heat.
4. Spread 1/2 c. salsa in the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange six tortillas over salsa. Spoon 2 c. chicken mixture over tortillas. Top with 3/4 c. salsa and 1/2 c. of each cheese (monterrey jack and feta).
5. Repeat another layer, beginning with six tortillas. End with remaining cheeses.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly.