Corey loved this Martha Stewart Food recipe, and they are so much better for you than fried green tomatoes because they are baked in the oven.
My oven needed a bit more time than the recipe called for - about 20-22 minutes instead of 15. I used my Cuisinart to crush up the cornflakes to a fine meal.
Nutritional Information (per serving - serves 4)
267 calories - 4 g. fat - 9 g. protein - 53 g. carbohydrates - 4 g. fiber
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 c. cornflakes, crushed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. firm tomatoes, cut into 1/4 in. rounds (these can be any color)
- Lemon wedges or ranch dressing, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place flour, eggs, and cornflakes in three separate shallow dishes. Season each with salt and pepper. Stir cayenne pepper into seasoned flour.
3. Coat each tomato slice first with flour, then with egg, and finally with cornflakes.
4. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake until deep golden brown, or about 15 minutes.
6. Serve with lemon wedges or ranch dressing.